Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Talea´s Escuela No. 10, Gloria Revilla

Tonight I attended the Parent Teacher Organization meeting at Talea´s school. The meeting began at 5:00 p.m. Actually, the principal, three parents and I showed up at 5:00 p.m. We spent the next 30 minutes discussing puncuality and what a problem it is when people are late. By 5:30, the room was packed and we began the meeting. Who won?

I learned that her school, a public school, has around 35o students in grades 1 to 6. That said, there were about 50 parents in attendance. The organization has 5000 pesos in the bank (about $500 US). We spent an hour electing the new PTO council. It consists of a principal, secretary, treasurer, and one representative parent from each grade level. I was nominated, but declined because I am leaving in December. Boy, they know a sucker when they see one. Close.

Luckily, I met Talea´s teacher, Profesora Olfelia. She is a sweet lady. She told me she was worried the first day becuase Talea cried and wanted her mom. She told me since that day, though, Talea has been much more comfortable, and even speaks Spanish. Prof. Olfelia said that Talea has lots of friends, plays at recess a lot, and is attentive in class. I could have hugged the lady.

Friday I don´t teach. I am going to visit Talea´s school and check things out for myself. Maybe take pictures if they let me.

Manuel Garcia Gomez Perez wants to close up the Internet Cafe. He is playing with his pesos. Think its a clue. Good night, amigos.

Don Pepino Suave.

No comments: